If you are thinking about your baby shower, an exciting new trend is having/hosting green baby showers. Here are some great tips on how to have your own Green Shower.
A baby shower is a celebration of life and it should be as clean, safe, and healthy as possible. Make your theme green and natural to help create a healthy world for healthy babies.
Send out evites to all of your guests. Using email invitations is a great way to quickly get the word out and track RSVPs and it’s also better for the environment (no paper, no waste, no fuel emissions from sending invites out, etc). Evite has dozens of baby shower invitations to choose from, or you can design your own.
Make it easy for your guests to find the perfect green gift by having the mom-to-be register at on-line stores such as jillybean green.
Some hostesses like to organize games and activities during the shower. If you are planning something make sure your guest of honor is comfortable with the idea (guests may get a good chuckle out of games like “Guess Her Girth,” but it can really be humiliating for mom). Also, choose something that creates little or no waste and provide green prizes like natural personal care products or soy candles. Here are some activities that could work with small or large groups:
- Guess Who - Instruct guests to bring a baby photo of themselves to the shower. Place all photos on a bulletin board or use magnets and put them on the fridge, and have guests try to match each baby photo to the guest they belong to. The winner is the person with most correct guesses.
- I Remember - Have guests share special memories from their childhood, or of their own children. These may be written and kept, or shared out loud.
- Onesie Painting - Supply organic baby t-shirts or onesies (plain white works best) and non-toxic paints or natural dyes for your guests. Have them decorate a shirt any way they want as a keepsake for baby to wear.
- Write a Letter to Baby - Have guests write a letter to the baby and save them in a scrapbook or decorative box for baby to read later in life.
- Advice - Have guests write their best baby advice and suggestions for the mother-to-be to keep and read after baby is born.
Make your nosh as nutritious and safe as possible by using local, organically grown ingredients. Serve it all up on your good china to really make the day feel special (and reduce an enormous amount of waste). Or go second best by using environmentally friendly disposables if washing a lot of dishes is unrealistic.
Keep the natural theme apparent by using potted plants as decorations. Your guests can take them home with them for a cheerful reminder of the special day.
Artfully arranged twigs, rocks and shells are another beautiful option. Even crystal bowls filled with seasonal fruit (a la Martha Stewart) can make a lovely, natural decoration.
Remember, before you decorate, clean the house using non-toxic cleansers, vacuum with a HEPA filter, and open the windows for some fresh air. It will significantly improve your indoor air quality, which is always better for baby.
Most of all, have fun!
Tips by: Janelle Sorensen